My friend, Maria, brought this oil-free Black Bean and Bell Pepper Vegan Appetizer to a gathering one evening at my house. It went over very big. I LOVE cilantro but I know some people don’t. If you want to substitute the cilantro, instead you could use 4 to 5 mint leaves and 3 to 4 basil leaves, chopped. It’s delicious with the mint and basil, as well.
Anyway, I adapted this dish to some degree to make it mine. Then, on another occasion, I brought it to her house not really thinking that it was her original recipe. It went over very big again. Everyone loved it especially Maria. And then a lightbulb went on in her head and she realized it was the one she had brought to my house. We had a laugh over this, but we all enjoyed this dish again.
Though there are more than a few ingredients, it’s very simple to prepare. Not only that, but it freezes well. Sometimes I will make this and freeze it in smaller portions, so I can take it out when I just feel like a snack myself or when I have unexpected company.
Serve with pita bread or your favorite crackers or corn chips. Those would be the best if you’ve made them yourself, baked with no oil. You can find the recipe for homemade corn chips here.
Black Bean And Bell Pepper Vegan Appetizer
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can refried pinto beans
- 1 medium zucchini, unpeeled, washed and cut into chunks
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 red bell pepper & 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle sauce
- 4 -5 green onions
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 to 2 cups cilantro
- 1 to 2 medium fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons, or to taste
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Run the black beans and zucchini though the food processor until blended well. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well. Transfer once again to a pretty serving bowl. Chill and serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, or your favorite crackers. I’ve even served this with apple wedges and carrots and celery sticks