This easy oil free lentil stew not only contains the good stuff in the lentils, but all the nutritious vegetables cooked with it. It makes for a perfect healthy vegan meal. I love this stew. It was so surprisingly good and had so much flavor. I put it together, yet I wasn’t quite prepared for how good it actually was.
Why lentils? Because not only are these oil free lentils heart healthy, and anti-inflammatory not to mention, they are very blessed delicious. Even my husband loves lentils and as you may have heard me say before, he doesn’t like much of anything in the way of healthy foods.
I don’t know about you, but I love lentils. They are are full of fiber and so healthy that if you really want to be good to your body and incorporate healthy foods into your diet, this one is a must.
This oil free lentil stew is full of substance. It’s packed with the goodness of carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, cauliflower, tomatoes and Kale. This hearty dish is robust and will satisfy you for hours.
Cooked lentils are a staple in India where they call this dish Dal. Very simply prepared, Dal is made with only onions, garlic and cumin. Wow! You wonder how anything that simple can be so delicious.
In the version below, the lentils remain whole. Some lentils, if you cook them longer, become the consistency of mashed potatoes which is also how I like them and how Dal is prepared. Dal is then served over brown rice. Or for a change, serve it over quinoa, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes or couscous.
For a hot lunch, start this dish in the morning before you get on with your day. By lunch time, you will be glad you did. Add a crusty loaf of bread and all you have to do is serve it up!
Remember: Getting old does not have to mean getting sick. Our bodies are wonderful machines and given the right foods can not only prevent diseases, but can actually reverse them.
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest and engage with me on my website! I would love to hear from you.
Lentils have a high concentration of dietary fiber and folate.
Folate is a perfect choice for optimum heart health.
High in antioxidants which are good for fighting free radicals.
Just as good and healthy as black bean profile.
Beans and legumes are protective against colon cancer.
Easy Oil Free Lentil Stew
- 2 cups lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 4 or 5 carrots, cut up
- 3 Idaho potatoes, cut up
- 3/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 head of cauliflower florets
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 - 10 leaves of Kale stripped from the stems and thinly sliced
- Place 2 cups lentils to the 8 cups water or broth in a large pot or Dutch oven and let come to a boil. Skim if necessary, then turn to simmer. Let cook for about 30 minutes, then add the rest of your ingredients. Let cook another 15 - 30 minutes or so or until veggies are done but not mushy. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Mix 4 tablespoons of corn starch with 1/4 cup of water. Mix well. Pour into the stew to thicken slightly and stir until well mixed.Then, add your cut-up Kale and simmer for another 5 minutes or so
- Top it off at the very end with the juice of 1 lemon. Stir. Enjoy!