There is nothing like fresh Green Beans even plain, and alongside these other ingredients, this fresh green bean salad is kicked up a notch. Green beans are a great immune enhancer and they have a low glycemic index thus regulating blood sugar.
I’ve been known to have a huge dish of fresh steamed green beans for lunch with a little salt and pepper and a drizzle of red wine vinegar. There are any number of recipes for green beans, but if you’re strapped for time, just steam fresh or frozen for a few moments for a quick lunch. They are low in calories and are filling.
They are also packed with other nutrients that benefit your eyes, bones, and help to fight those ubiquitous free radicals.
I remember sitting around with my aunts and snapping the ends off of the beans they had just plucked from their garden. I like to have my grandchildren help me pluck the ends off of mine.
Fresh Green Bean Salad
- 2 large packages frozen green beans
- 1 can Chick Peas or Garbanzo Beans (two names, same bean)
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley
- Juice of one lemon
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- A drizzle of olive oil, about 1/4 cup
- A drizzle of red wine vinegar, about 1/4 – 1/2 cup