After one of my Cuban friends had my Vegan Black Bean Soup, she told me it was very delicious. She loved it and said it was pretty authentic. My not being Cuban and all, and my not even having made this soup before….well, let’s just say, it put a smile on my face. She gave me a thumbs up! So I feel I can share it here with you.
1. Black Beans are a healthy source of protein.
2. They are inexpensive as a staple for protein.
3. Because of their black color, they contain several different flavonoids which makes them a rich source of antioxidants.
4. Much needed fiber in our diets can be had by having black beans on a regular basis.
Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- A good drizzle of Agave sweetener
- The juice of two limes
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Soak beans in water to cover overnight. When ready to cook, drain and rinse. Fill a large pot with 8 cups water or vegetable broth. Let come to boil and skim white foam. Turn down to simmer and let cook until beans are tender and done, about an hour or so
- Add rest of ingredients and let cook for another hour or so or until all vegetables are cooked
- Blend in batches in your blender or with an immersion blender
- Set bowls around of sliced green onions, red onions, and cilantro for garnish
- Let guests choose their own toppings for their very own Vegan Black Bean Soup