Macaroni is a comfort food even without cheese. This Chickpea, Brussel Sprouts Mac is a slightly different version with a legume and a green. I just felt like some Macaroni one day and not the usual thing. So I looked to see what I had on hand and came up with this recipe.
Try this Chickpea, Brussel Sprouts Mac for lunch or dinner, and let me know what you think. It’s a hearty dish and can satisfy the hungry eater.
Chickpea, Brussel Sprouts Mac
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pound brussel sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Saute carrots, garlic and onion in Dutch oven for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, vegetable broth and tomatoes. Add seasonings and nutritional yeast. Bring to boil, then turn to simmer and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Add Brussels sprouts and macaroni and cook for another 10 minutes or until done.