This Creamy No Dairy Broccoli Soup sort of happened by accident. When I was making a Broccoli Orange Salad one day, I only wanted to use the florets. I cut up all the stems on the fresh broccoli bunch and put them in a baggie in the refrigerator. A few days later, I made the Broccoli Orange Salad again, and here I was left with all these stalk pieces. I certainly didn’t want to throw them away. But what to do with them?
Well, I could cut them up very fine and put them in with the salad, which is exactly what I did with some. The rest I decided to use for Broccoli Soup. Boy! Am I glad I did. This is absolutely delicious! Kennedy and Kerigan, my granddaughters, even request this. For them to put in a request for one of the vegan soups I make or anything vegan for that matter, it must be good and not just my thoughts.
Note: You could also dice the broccoli stalks and sauté in a bit of olive oil with the onion and 2 minced garlic cloves.
Creamy No Dairy Broccoli Soup
- Leftover broccoli stalks from another recipe you might be making or
- 1 to 2 bunches of fresh broccoli, washed and cut into chunks, stalks and florets
- 1 medium onion, coarsely cut
- 1 (32-ounce) carton of vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- Sea salt and lots of freshly ground pepper
- Put all of the above in a large pan. Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer and let cook until the broccoli is tender. Now, very carefully, ladle all of this into your blender as with the other vegan soups. Again, remove the little plastic top in the cover of the blender whenever you are blending anything hot. Blend for about a minute
- Return all liquid to your pot. Bring to boil again and immediately reduce to simmer and let reduce for about 5 or 10 minutes