Who Isn’t Crazy for Chocolate – Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake Cookies? Well, here is a recipe, another one of my favorite chocolate recipes, this time in the form of Chocolate Cake Cookies.
That’s right. They’re a cake-y kind of consistency. I’ve had this one for 30 some odd years. I have since veganized it and it’s one of those go-to recipes for whatever occasion. I’m taking some to my granddaughter for her birthday tonight. Also taking some to my Monday morning volunteer group.
It’s a great holiday cookie frosted with the color of the season: Pink for Valentine’s Day. Green for St. Patrick’s Day, or a combination of red and green for Christmas. They are very festive looking.
Two other perks. They are easy to put together, and they freeze well. What’s not to love about them? These Chocolate Cake Cookies are a real favorite in my house. And I daresay any Chocolate lover will love them.
Preheat your oven to 375º.
Always preheat. You’ll get the best results if you put your baked goods into a preheated oven.
Gather all of your ingredients. This makes the process so much smoother and more productive than running to and fro finding things as you need them.
Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Less mess to clean up. Generally speaking, if there is vegan butter in your recipe, it isn’t necessary to grease your pans. The parchment paper works best, but if you don’t have any (Costco carries huge boxes of parchment paper that lasts forever), not to worry, especially if you have vegan butter in your recipe.
Speaking of cookie sheets, I have the half sheet pans 13 x 17 x 1. I absolutely love these. They are firm, durable, easy to clean and hold more cookies than the smaller cookie sheets. They are just plain great.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter and 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg replacer, 1 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup spelt flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (minus the 2 tablespoons for the flax meal)
- Melt chocolate and vegan butter together
- Add sugar, egg and milk, then soda and flour
- Drop by teaspoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes in 350º oven
- Let cookies thoroughly cool, then frost with your favorite frosting or a standard vegan butter cream frosting